Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What You Are Competing, You Are in Life

One thing that I noticed is how people "act" on the pool table, they can be that way in life as well. 

If you are a nice person on the table, you are nice off the table. 

If a player cheats at pool, they usually cheat somehow in life.

If a player is honorable, they will be that way with their friends and family and friends and work.



If a player hustles in the pool world, they can at times hustle in life, work, relationships, and friends as well. 

If a player is too competitive in pool, they are too competitive in every aspect of their life.

If a player gets angry a lot playing pool, they are probably like that in their every day life as well.

Sure, some people can separate their personality on the table to off, but honestly, how we act playing in competitive sports, we will act in real life at work and with our relationships (family, friends, lovers) the same.

Playing competitive sports shows our emotions.  How do we handle those emotions?  If you see someone who flies off the handle, I bet they can be that way at work, too (if they have a job).  

If someone is super nice, they are that way to us off the table, too.  And they want matches to go well and smooth.  They can still be a very talented player that wants to kick your ass, but they also always show sweet emotions and a calm demeanor.

I used to show negative emotions when I played pool. Yep, and also at work.  I would show anger and act out at both.  Then I worked on my leadership skills and that helped calm my temper.  And now I hardly ever show anger when I play pool, or at work.

Personalities are a part of us.  That's why when an extrovert is animated in tournaments, they will be that way away from the pool room, too.  I realize that's just how they are, and I try not to get bothered by then when I compete against them.

Bottom line.  Who players are on the table, they usually are off, as well.

No comments: