Thursday, February 26, 2015

Trying to Play Pool During Tough Times

I don't know why I get so surprised still with things....

My biological Dad passed away on February 16th.  I found out on Feb 17th.

We were short players for league on Feb 19th and there I was, standing at the pool table during my first match, with a look of confusion on my face.

I had NO IDEA what I was doing.  I didn't know what to shoot first, or how to get rid of my opponent's balls in the pocket, nothing.  I finally banked a ball in and was pretty happy with my shape, when I then saw my shape led to NOWHERE.  My ball had no pocket to go in.  That's when I really knew I was not doing well.

I lost that game and was extremely pissed.

I was mad I had to play pool so close to my Dad's passing, mad we didn't have an extra player to play for me, mad I was confused surveying the pool table.

I could not believe I had to play pool with what I was going through.

I recognized that my upsetness was affecting the other players, so I just shut my mouth and kept to myself.  But I can tell you with all honesty I did not want to be playing pool.  I couldn't even think straight.

Luckily, the entire other team each hugged me and offered their condolences.  It meant a lot they cared and acknowledged my Dad.  It went a long way for a very tough night.

I honestly thought I would be okay at league.  But, I wasn't.  And I had no business being there at all.

I was able to compose myself enough to win my other 4 games, but I would rather have been home curled up in bed.

Life throws us curves balls sometimes and we need to take care of life before pool.  But there are times a team needs us, or an organization depends on you, and some things cannot just stop because you want to take a time out.

Yes, you are suppose to put yourself first, especially in tough times.  But sometimes, it's just not that easy.

3 months old, with my Dad, Rudy Duncan.

No comments: