Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Wearing Your Emotions

People either hold in their anger or show it during/after matches.

I overheard this exchange at one of the Omega Tournaments this year:

"If I get mad, it's not at you.   I just have to let it out.  I can`t keep it in like you," a player told his opponent right before they started their match.

His opponent would tell me later, after I asked him about it, "oh I'm sure I get just as mad, I get just as mad inside tho; I just don't show it on the outside."


Another time, I handed a player their envelope with cash in it, and he ripped it right in half in front of me.

Yikes!

But, he was just upset he lost and only got about $50.

Many people are judged when they show emotions when competing when in reality, we just all show it differently and handle it differently.

Being raised verbally abused, I know what it means to show anger and to express yourself loudly.

And I used to show my emotions also when I first started to compete in pool.

In my career/job,  I took many of the leadership classes and finally learned after years and years of maturing, learning, life experiences, and trying to be a better person, I finally learned to not spat off at people,  not raise my voice when I'm angry, and be more professional at all times (even during very tough times).

And of course this carried over into my pool journey as well.

I also saw how others looked when they "acted up" after they lost or got a bad roll and I didn't want to be that person anymore.

It also helped to be a Tournament Director, as I had to be a rep as well.

However, where I struggle sometimes is I recognize that emotions are part of the game.  However, reacting badly and causing a scene is actually bad sportsmanship.  As a Tournament Director, where do I draw the line and have to say something?

(View the rules of Sportsmanship on the Omega Billiards Tour:  HERE)

I should have talked to a couple of players when I ran another Tour for over-the-top behavior and rudeness. But venting and showing too much negative emotions can be construed as bad sportsmanship.   But, that's just how some people show their emotions, while others show it later on the drive home or by walking outside fuming lol.

I know how tough it is to NOT show emotion. And some people are simply OK with showing  their frustration, even when all of us look at them like ,"there they go again. "

I think taking all those leadership classes has helped me deal with all the different situations that can come up during events.  I'm pretty lucky.   And I suppose the players are too, lol.


No comments: